Preparing for Your Tattoo
Please do what you can to ensure your skin is in the best possible condition before your appointment.
The following is a list of things you can do in preparation for your tattoo to best increase the likelihood of a great heal:
- Please stay hydrated (drink water!!) in the days leading up to your appointment. The more hydrated your skin is, the easier the tattoo process will be.
- We can only tattoo clean, non-sunburned, moisturized skin. Please do not use fake tanner or tinted moisturizers prior to our appointment or during the healing process. Although not always possible, it is preferable that you are sporting your natural complexion for our appointment. Tanning can cause the fluctuation of melanin levels in your skin, which can negatively affect the long term look of your tattoo.
- Please do not take any pain killing or blood thinning drugs before our appointment as this renders the body unable to be properly tattooed and can greatly affect the healing process.
- Please make sure you get a good night’s sleep before our tattoo! Remember to eat! Make sure you have a big meal the night before your tattoo, and a big breakfast before your session. Tattooing puts your body through a lot of stress, it needs the energy!
- It is preferable that you do not get tattooed for at least two weeks before and two weeks after our session as this can affect the heal of both pieces. Please focus on healing one tattoo at a time.
- If you are sick - In order to prevent the spread of illness, we all ask you to please stay home until you feel better. In addition, if you are sick with a cold or flu you should definitely wait to get your tattoo done! A sick body will not properly heal a tattoo, and the heal time for both the illness and the tattoo could be increased.
- We do not recommend going to the gym or heavy exercise for 24 hours before our tattoo session or soon after, as this can affect your skin both during the application of the tattoo and during the healing. If you absolutely must maintain a gym schedule, please avoid working out the tattooed area and definitely avoid resting the tattoo (open wound) on any gym equipment. Excessive sweating through a new tattoo can cause healing issues as well. Use your best judgement!
- Alcohol consumption both before and after the tattoo process is not advised.
- PLEASE moisturize the area for a week before our tattoo session! Your artist will shave and prepare your skin on the day of the appointment.
- Please do not use any numbing gels. They alter the consistency of the skin and the use of such products could render the skin unable to be tattooed.
Thank you for choosing to do all that you can to do right by the artwork.
If you have any questions about preparing for your tattoo please don’t hesitate to contact the shop or your artist.